Thursday, October 23, 2008

Season Five: Looking Back



Season 5, in all honesty, has been one of the highest points of this show. Season two is the only other season I can point to and say that it affected me as much as this one did. I like them for different reasons, but I think they accomplish the same thing.

Season two was Buffy growing up in a way, dealing with the love of her life turning evil, and realizing that only she could stop it. It was a little bit like her closing the door on her own childhood when she killed Angel. It was also the season that really affected me emotionally. I'd come to love those characters so much, and seeing them put through so much trauma was hard to watch. Buffy left town at the end, and it felt like my world was ending. I was constantly reminding myself "it's just a show!"

Season three, with the Mayor and Faith, was great storytelling, but the emotional core was not there for me like it was in season two. Similarly, season 4 had no emotional impact as they were trying not to repeat themselves, and in turn told a completely different type of story. A James Bond/military vs Magic type of story.

But oh, season five, you've ripped out my heart. I have thoroughly loved every episode that I've been given here, and I think it's no coincidence that it was the season that Joss decided to bring it back to family. It feels like these characters love each other again, and it feels like I am part of them. When Joyce died, I felt it like she was a real person. When Riley left, that hurt too. The end of this one, though, beats them all, I think. Buffy has given the ultimate sacrifice.

I think there was not a single wasted episode here. Everything that was introduced seemed to serve some purpose. I love Dawn as a new addition to the show. It's tighter and feels more like family than it ever has for me.

And if the show had gone off the air after this, as sad as I would be that this is the ending we got, it would be fitting in more than one way that Buffy went out not just saving the world, but saving her family.

No comments: