Monday, October 13, 2008

4.8 - Pangs


It's Buffy's first Thanksgiving since she's moved out and all she wants is a normal dinner. A Native American Vengeance guy is going to try to stop that from happening.

***

As much as I really enjoy this episode (and I do) I can't help but feel like I'm being preached to again about the plight of the Native American. I know this aired around Thanksgiving and that the writer (Jane Espenson again...surprise) feels the need to do her bit for social awareness, and I even think that it's understandable. I guess I'm just rebellious like that. I don't like feeling like I'm being preached to. Wrap it up in a way that makes it where I don't realize I'm being preached to and I'm fine with it, but when I KNOW I'm being preached to, or being educated, or even being manipulated in a way I don't like, I tend to get a little pissy.

The bear was ridiculous. It looked as threatening as Mr. Gordo.

So, the A plot, which consists of the Injun trying to kill Buff, I didn't like. But there was so much else going on here to keep me entertained. Angel was back in minimal supply (although watching these crossovers without seeing the other corresponding hour, which happened next on Angel is hard), Xander and Anya are fun to watch together, Giles likes mushy peas, and Spike gets to do his awesome thing.

Favorite moment was when they are all under attack by the bad guy and Spike gets repeatedly shot by arrows.

Rating: 7/10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This for some reason is one of my all time favorite episodes. I just love the comedic dialogue..."I think I'm being level headed and yours is the head that stuff will roll off of" or something. Also the kiss the librarian mug that Spike's using...The whole syphillis thing. And I really liked the political argument and of course once again Spike and his insight. Cesear didn't say "I came I saw I conquered, I feel really bad about it" Then Xander saying "you know this might be the syphillis talking, but Spike's making sense" And Buff the whole time with the dinner...great stuff!

Andres Salazar said...

Spike is awesome.

I dont mind the comedy, while i like him better as a hardassed villain, I can accept this and I like it.

(bear = hte_lame)
Now what is this about going to Angel for the follow-up?? I have season 1 right here, should I pop it in to see a part 2?

PS: syphillis is not a joke....isnt this made for kids to enjoy?

Heath Holland said...

haha, syphilis is not a joke. Yes, that bear was so lame. He looked like he was going to hug someone to death.

As for the Angel follow up, this is most definitely not the only time it happens. I can think of 3 or 4 other crossovers off the top of my head. I think there were 3 in the first season of Angel. I am going to just watch Angel after I've finished Buffy. I think if you watched Angel right now you wouldn't get what was going on and who these people are. But that's just my opinion.
And you'd be watching a lot of Angel, because she really does go there at least a few times a season.