Saturday, October 18, 2008

5.6 - Family

Tara's family comes to take her home.

***

This one, even though it was written and directed by Whedon, didn't do a whole lot for me. I'm not going to spend much time on it other than to say that I thought it was a bit less subtle than he usually turns in. Tara's family is bad. Buffy and the gang are her new family. And she's not any part demon, like her family says.

Worth noting is Amy Adams as Tara's cousin, who would later go on to be in the hit Disney movie Enchanted, where she plays a squeaky clean princess. Not here, though. She's nasty! And cute.

Rating: 6/10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one was strange. It seem s like they didn't know before this what to do with Tara. They were kinda hinting to some sordid or dark past and I think this was just meant to say everythings cool with Tara, she's a regular now. Kinda like a fix it episode. Did like Spike punching her though:)

Heath Holland said...

I think you are right. It felt like they'd hinted at a mysterious past before this episode, and weren't sure what direction to go in. In the end, I guess they just decided to let her be a sympathtic shy type character, since Willow now has tons of confidence.

Andres Salazar said...

first let me say I really like Buffy.

now I will talk about this episode. I didnt care for it. Its very thinly veiled writing about what i"m assuming is a social commentary about Tara being gay. I thought it was weak writing, the family are clearly written as part-hick part religious and I didnt care for it.

Again Spike saves the episode with his comedy. I really wish they had the "Spike" show. I'd tune in for that.

The Hoochie-demon is still around, dont know what her bag is, but I"m done with that too.

Another good thing was that Riley only had a very small part to play.

I know this will get better, and its getting there, but I havent had the great episodes that season 2 and 3 so far. but its early in the season.

2 out of 5

Heath Holland said...

Yep, I agree. You can see my original post, I wasn't impressed. Joss Whedon has a thing against religious types, and it pops up from time to time. It was all just meh.