Thursday, October 30, 2008

7.3 - Same Time, Same Place




Willow is back in Sunnydale, but something goes wrong.


***

Hmm..Not sure what I think about this one yet.

Willow comes back from England, but when she gets to the airport, no one is there to greet her. We see Xander and Buffy and Dawn at the airport waiting for her, but she doesn't get off the airplane. Something's up.

I'll let you in on it now. Willow did some spell by accident that shifted her out and made her invisible to them. Now, if you ask me, if she's able to do something like that on accident, maybe she has no business being back in Sunnydale. but I digress.

Spike gets a really cool scene here where he has invisible Willow talking to him on one side and invisible Buffy talking to him on another side. you don't realize it yet because of the way it's shot. You see him have a crazy conversation with Willow that doesn't seem to make much sense. Then you see the conversation from Buffy's perspective and it all clicks. I think Marsters did a really good job with this scene. But I gotta be honest, this crazy stuff he's doing is going to get old really quick.

There's also a scene I loved where Willow and Anya take out a map of Sunnydale and do some magic-fu on it to show all the demons in Sunnydale as little lights. There are A LOT of little lights. I thought it was cool, and I guess I never really thought about how over run Sunnydale really was.

So Willow goes to this cave where this monster lives (oh yeah, this dude turns up skinned, and people think Willow did it. It was really this monster guy), and I tell you, this thing looks, acts, and talks just like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Not from the movie, per se, but from the books. He lives in a cave, he talks out loud to himself, he sings songs, and he walks around all froglike. I think Jane Espenson was rocking some LOTR when she wrote this.

Anyway, Gollum paralyzes you when he scratches you, so he gets Dawn with his claw and paralyzes her, which is funny, because she gets to play it for cuteness, not annoyingness. Then Gollum stabs Willow and gets her frozen, and actually starts carving her skin out of eating it. I couldn't believe they got away with this on television. Pretty gross stuff, but really I couldn't believe that they were letting it happen to one of the main cast.

Anyway, Buffy figures it all out with the help of Anya, kills Gollum (my precious!) and Willow appears to them all. Then Buffy gives Willow some of her strength so that she can heal using magic.

Awww. It's a Kodak moment.

Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Button, button whose got the button. I think Willow only came back because of the big bad that's coming. I wasn't too big on this episode. I'd give it a 6, maybe 7. James Marsters was good though. That thing did look like Smeagel big time.