Tuesday, October 7, 2008

2.21 - Becoming Part I

Angelus is going to open a portal that will send the world to hell and bring about the apocalypse.

***

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

This is a shocker of an episode with some very traumatic developments. Kendra's death at the hands of Drusilla being chief among them.

Really, this is a lot of set up, but the coolest stuff here are the flashback sequences of Angel of his origin. It's great to see Darla (I love Julie Benz) back, even if it's in flashback capacity, and the whole sordid history of Angel's story getting told to us in a Cliff's Notes version works for me.

I find Whistler pretty annoying and unnecessary, though. I think a better device could have been created to get Angel to go back to see Buffy in 1996. It's a small annoyance, though.

Once again, Whedon nails the closing credits, starting with a speech about the big moments in life, and leading right up to the big "to be continued." Gives a man a chill down his spine.

9/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess Whistler's name was a nod to Blade. He was pretty worthless though...His ending dialogue was nice though..."It's what you do after that counts" That sticks with me to this day.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and I often (cause I'm hopeless) have pondered the many different ways that the title of this 2 parter "Becoming" works on so many levels with about every character. It's a small detail but kinda brilliant.