Thursday, October 9, 2008

3.6 - Band Candy


Ethan Rayne is back, and this time he's causing all the adults of Sunnydale to act like teenagers.

***

This is one of my absolute all time favorite episodes. It's definitely in the top 10, maybe even in the top 5. I'm always a fan of episodes where characters that you have come to expect a certain way get to act a completely different way. In this instance, Tony Head blows me away. I've been a fan of his since he did this show, and I've seen him on numerous other projects through the years. He is most definitely not the stuffy guy that Giles is. He really gets the comedy here, and it honestly cracks me up. If you listen, he plays his younger self with a slightly cockney accent, too.

Joyce (Buffy's mom) does a great 180 too. And she's kind of hot! No, I didn't say that. Almost on par with Tony Head is Armin Shimmerman, who is no stranger to comedy himself, but has been stuck playing the serious fuddy duddy of Principal Snyder without a sense of humor for a couple of years now. He shines as well here, and every single person in this episode really looks like they are having a blast.

Favorite lines:

-Principal Snyder: "Whoa, Summers, you drive like a spaz!"

and
-when Buffy is questioning Ethan Rayne, Giles keeps telling her to hit him. When she finally does, he throws his fist into the air and says "yes!"


For me, I laughed harder than I think I've laughed at a Buffy episode. It's even got that great ending. This is a classic for me.

Rating: 10/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree. One of my top 10 all time. Giles was great..."Ohhh copper got a gun" with the arm wiggle. And Joyce was great "It's sooo Juice Newton". Giles rocking Tales of Brave Ulysseus by Cream and going shhh when the jam comes on with that intense teenage expression that I still get sometimes when rocking. And of course Snyder's classic line, that I have used many times myself. perfect episode!

Andres Salazar said...

awesome episode.
man that was good!
I liked just about all of it. The monster, I like the hints at the major, I imagine he will be important in things to come.

great fun story! I hope there's more of these.