Tuesday, October 28, 2008

6.14 - Older and Far Away

The gang finds themselves trapped in Buffy's house by Halfreck.

***

Basically, Dawn makes a wish to Halfreck the vengeance demon, not knowing what Halfreck is, and because of it, Buffy's birthday party lasts for a couple of days because no one can leave.

This is alright on the surface, but the deeper I dig and think about it, the more upset I get thinking about it. I ranted last episode about how these characters just don't feel like the ones I'm used to. I don't know if it's bad writing, but something is off. On second thought, yes, I think it's bad writing. It's inconsistent.

They don't know what to do with Dawn, so they write her as way younger than she actually is, have her be really annoying, and serve to move the plot along. It's pretty bad. She's at the age now that Buffy was at when she was called. I can't see Buffy stealing a bunch of stuff and then when she gets caught going "Get out get out GET OUT!" It's just absolutely atrocious to me. It makes me want to throw up because it's so mediocre.

I'm getting fed up with the "will they or won't they" of Spike and Buffy. He loves you Buffy. He's saved you, he's saved Dawn, he's helped you in all the ways he can, he's not hurt anyone in over 2 years now, and he would do anything for you. You are using him because you feel dead inside, and you've been doing it for what feels like ages, even though it's only been a few episodes. I'm tired of it already. Get with it or move on.

Can you tell that my patience is wearing thin with so many of these characters? It is. I'm starting to get really bored during my viewings. Magazines and comics are starting to look really appealing to me when I'm supposed to be focusing on the story.

I don't think it's me, I think it's the writing on the show. It's just dragging everything out.

There were some good points to this episode. I love Spike's "muscle cramp," I love Tara knowing about Buffy and Spike, and I love Clem, the loose skinned demon who we previously saw playing poker with kittens.

but the rest of them...to quote Once More With Feeling, it's just going through the motions.

Rating: 6.5/10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I was waiting for the tide to turn.. I agree about Dawn. I think many of us do, no one was that juvenile at that age! It was extremely annoying. And that's what I meant a few posts back about Spike- it's a little pathetic that she hasn't staked him after all these years..Like they can ever really be in love...please. whatever Spike is, it's clear he is at heart a souless killer with a leash on. He said time and time again, I'm evil...don't you buggers get it? Very tough season, but not half as bad as seven....I think. I've been in a relationship like Buffy/Spike (not this recent one, mind you) but once I had a different long term girl...I ended it and proceeded to do ,like Buffy, get involved with someone horrible for me- I used her because I hated myself and took it out on her...it was toxic for the both of us. That was years ago, but I often feel doomed in love like Buff.

Heath Holland said...

I hear everything you are saying, but I still can't blame Spike. He's the best thing about this show at this point, for me. It's not his fault. And lord knows he's trying to be what she needs. I just really sympathize with the guy. He's giving her everything he knows to give her, but it's not what she needs.

I've finished the season now, but I'm too tired to blog about it tonight. I definitely think this season had some really strong points, but by and large, I still think Joss must have been asleep at the wheel. This isn't the Buffy I've come to love, it's something darker, and I don't like it as much.