Monday, October 13, 2008

4.6 - Wild At Heart



Oz shares a strange attraction with a singer named Veruca.

***

SPOILERS FOR SEASONS 4, 5, 6

So Veruca is a female werewolf and she's evil, and she and Oz had a primal connection. She brought out the worst in him and made him think that he's not safe to be around.

Think about this.

If Oz hadn't left Willow, she never would have gone Lesbo, Tara would not have been killed, Willow would not then have gone evil, and people wouldn't have died. Therefore, Oz is a murderer.

Not really, but it makes me so sad the way he left. I know, he had movies to go make. How's that going for you, Seth Green?! I hope you're happy with your Robot Chicken show, because you stomped on my heart AND Willow's! I hope you enjoy your Austin Powers royalty checks. You made Willow gay!

Okay, I'm better.

Alyson Hannigan kills me in this episode. These ladies can act like nobody's business. She's so sweet and so vulnerable, you just can't help but feel her pain.

For anyone who wants to know what Oz does during this time in the show, I suggest you check out the novel Into The Wild which charts his journey to control his inner wolf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oz:_Into_the_Wild

As this wiki page states, some people say that these books are not canon, but the plots for all of the novels were approved by both 20th century Fox as well as Joss Whedon himself. In other words, it's canon until Joss does something that contradicts it. Just think of it as B level canon.

This is a fantastic episode. I love it and it messes me up at the same time. We get to see Oz raise his voice for the first and only time. I loved his character, and I'll miss him being around. I hope you're happy with your Family Guy money, Green! People are dead!

Rating: 8/10

EDIT: I have now listened to the commentary for this episode, and I recommend it as one of the most entertaining commentaries I've ever listened to. It's Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, and Seth Green, all of whom openly and lovingly make fun of their show, the characters, and themselves. But don't listen to it if you don't know what happens after this. It contains spoilers for the rest of the season and part of season 5.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's some vulcan logic you got going there:) Oz was kind of a dick in this one. "when you leaving" "pretty much now"...Geez. Best acting I've seen Allyson do so far. Oz needed to suck it up...But he gets his a few episodes down the road:) Oz is coming back in season 8 I think. Gonna have to read that book.

Heath Holland said...

Oz is coming back for season 8? That's awesome. Can't go back to the relationship that he and Willow had, though, and that makes me sad.

Andres Salazar said...

now we get a heart-breakin episode with Willow....man I cant take this melodrama!!!!
this is hardcore.

I liked the way it ended and see that Oz left was fine, but man the dialog with WIllow is spot-on.