Friday, October 10, 2008

3.13 - The Zeppo

Xander questions his place in the group.

***

Dan Vebber, you are 2 for 2! The last gem this guy wrote was also his first, and that was Lover's Walk. He returns and does it again, giving me everything I want in a Buffy episode. He's ticking all the boxes. We get the emotional stuff, we get lots of funny, and we get an actual progression and development of a character who, let's face it, up until now has not exactly earned his place in the gang.

I absolutely love the spoofing of the serious stuff from Buffy, done with a gentle elbow to the rib. Scenes like the one where Buffy is pouring her heart out to Angel because he's going to get himself killed again, when Xander walks in awkwardly and coughs for their attention. It's priceless. And we never get to see the apocalyptic Lovecraftian evil that they are fighting, but I love the close up on Giles as he whispers "it's grown...", I mean, really, this is some great writing.

Vebber is quickly establishing himself as one of my all time favorite writers.

Rating: 9/10

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a great turn, where the B plot's the A plot...Love Xander at the end "I'm not talking about walking around dead, but blown into itty bitty pieces dead"

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! isn't this the one where Xander loses his virginity??? In a most undignified manner:)

Heath Holland said...

It sure is.

Heath Holland said...

It is with much sadness that I report that this was the last episode Dan Vebber wrote for this show. His work can be seen on Futurama and American Dad, though. Sucks. I loved his writing here.

Andres Salazar said...

awesome!!!

HArdcore!

I cant beleive he scored with Faith! Why didnt things like that ever happen to me in high school?

I love the writing, and the zombie frat guys...it all reminds me of Darian Morgan writing (he did the querky episodes of X-files)