Thursday, November 6, 2008

7.17 - Lies My Parents Told Me




Turns out Spike was a mama's boy.

***

They're still milking the Wood hating Spike thing (I called it for 5 episodes, it's been 4) and we see some flashbacks of Spike and Dru. He wants to turn him mom into a vampire. Now, I know that I didn't create this show, and I know that I'm just a viewer, but I find the Spike (or William, here) that they present me with to be inconsistent of the guy I've been watching for so long. In other words, you can tell me that Spike was a mama's boy, but when I see it, it doesn't ring true for me. I can buy that he'd want to read poetry to his mother, but I don't buy that when he was turned, he'd want her to come along and lay waste to the world. You can disagree with me, that's fine, I just think it's a plot mcguffin for this episode. They needed a trigger for Spike's brainwashing, and this seemed like a good idea at the time.

Although it is really nice to see Spike beating the crap out of someone again. I was starting to feel like we'd never have Spike as a relevant character again. I think this show has really mistreated James Marsters and given him some truly crappy and soap operatic trash to work with the last few years. You can't have a bad guy on the team, so you've got to make him impotent. And in doing so, I really think they cheapened the character. This is the best he's been since season 3 or 4.

Anyway, again, it's not bad stuff, but it's not particularly great stuff either. The show I loved is dead.

Rating: 7/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. They needed this whole Mom thing to counter balance Wood's thing with his Mom. This is the thing I hate about vampires on this show. Spike is evil. He's said it a hundred times. Without a soul or chip, he'd be like all the rest...a killer. Yet for some reason, when it's convenient, he has feelings of love for his Mom, Buffy, Drusilla, and I mean "true" love, not the partner in violence to pass the century with kind. Angel has never felt that way about Darla - He even tells her as much in Season 2 or 3 of his show.Something to the effect that he couldn't love because he was souless. It was good to see Spike wail on Wood some, but that's about it. Honestly they should of just left him with the chip and no soul, cause there's really no difference between the 2. And adding a trigger to that mess was confounding. And how about Buffy, a few eps ago telling him flat out that he was a better fighter without the soul, that he was pretty worthless now. They made her such a bitch this season. That's not Buffy...That's the Buffy bitch from Doppelgangland. And Giles conspiring to murder Spike with a dude he barely knows. Distracting Buffy in the cemetary with this song and dance about making "hard choices". Spike's saved his ass many times, intentionally or not. That's not F-ing Giles. Everyone is so out of character. Anya..devisive bitch...Buffy...speechified...Xander...blah. Willow...neutered and weak. Giles...I don't even recognize him. Hurry up Faith! Dawn's the only character that's had any positive growth.