Wednesday, November 5, 2008

7.10 - Bring on the Night

Giles is back with a bunch of potential slayers.

***

Giles shows up at Buffy's house and he's got a gaggle of girls who are potential slayers. It's potential slayers that we've been seeing killed for a few episodes.

Willow tries to track down the First using magic and it backfires on her and hurts her badly.

Buffy tries to fight the new vampire dude and gets her butt kicked. So she goes back home, regroups, makes a speech to her slayers, and says they are done waiting, they are taking the fight to the First.

OH! And Buffy keeps seeing her mom. AND NOT FREAKING OUT. Am I the only one who thinks this is weird of her? Bad writers! Bad! From this point forward, I'm honestly not looking forward to what's coming next...maybe there will be some surprises I can't remember, but I'm really just waiting for the end.

Rating: 6/10

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh. The first of the many speeches. Since when did Buffy become such a drag. I'll just say this now so I don't have to keep saying it...I FRIGGING HATE KENNEDY!. From the moment she walks in with Giles, glances at Buff goes "so this is her" and then just kinda shrugs like "eh...nothing special". I would've tossed her. Am I the only one who thinks this whole potential thing is ridiculous??? It really makes no sense. The Slayer should be more like the Green Lanterns or something. One dies another is picked..not from a pool of teen wallflowers. All of a sudden there's like hundreds of watchers training chicks with NO power just in case they are picked??? Puhhlease.. There is like 1 or 2 good episodes coming Jane Espenson's Storyteller among them.

Heath Holland said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks the potentials are lame. It's the dumbest thing ever, and it doesn't even seem to fit in with continuity. When Buffy died, shouldn't someone have been called? It happened in season 1.

And Joss takes the whole feminist empowerment thing to ridiculous proportions. I can't stand it.

T Mafia said...

When Buffy died, shouldn't someone have been called? It happened in season 1.

Joss has said that upon Buffy's first death, Kendra was called to become "the" Slayer (Buffy now just being "a" Slayer, since the ancient dudes who came up with this whole system never figured on a Slayer dying for a few seconds and being brought back), and with Kendra's death, Faith was called to replace her.

Buff's second death in Season 5 didn't produce a new Slayer, 'cause she was already out of the Slayer Legacy loop when she died the first time.

So at this point in the series, you'd presumably have to kill Faith for one of the Potentials to become the new "official" Slayer.

My head hurts now.

Heath Holland said...

T-mafia, that sounds like some wonky retoconning on Whedon's part, if you ask me. I call shenanigans!