Saturday, September 27, 2008

So Begins the Journey

9/27/08

I started watching Buffy with the very first episode of the very first season, way back when I was a senior in high school, 1997.

Being in high school at the time, the show really had an impact on me and I related to it immensely. As the seven years unfolded, the characters of this show as well as it's spin off, Angel, became like family. And like family, there were losses and tragedies. It was the first time I'd ever been affected this way by a TV show. Really caring about the people I was watching like they weren't just characters, but were real people, with all the faults and flaws of humanity itself.

So I watched for years, and when the show was over, I mourned it. I bought the DVDs years ago, and I watched those too, but it's been a long time since I've thought of digging my DVD sets out and giving them a repeat viewing. Recently, I've been craving the show, not just because I want to relive the tragedies and the laughs, but because I want to go back to the time in my life when this show was extremely important. When these characters were my friends, and I was living much of what the characters were living. High school, college, relationships...my life echoed the events of the show.

So my friend said since I was going to watch them again, I should blog about my thoughts on the episodes. Well, here it is. For any who choose to follow my humble opinions, I thank you. It's going to be a heck of a ride.

No comments: