Tuesday, September 30, 2008

1.9 - The Puppet Show

There's a living ventriloquist dummy loose at the high school.

Oh yeah! Now we're talking. Killer ventriloquist dummy, that's what I wanted! I love stuff like this. There's not too much creepier than a doll that people make talk. While this concept was handled better (and scarier) in the movie Dead Silence, for a tv show a decade ago, this is not bad at all.
It's got some great suspenseful scenes, and we are introduced to the new Principal, Armin Shimerman (the guy who played Quark the Ferengi on Star Trek) as Principal Snyder.

My favorite part of this is the end credits where Buffy, Willow and Xander act out a play about Oedipus for the talent show. It's hilarious.

I give it a 7/10

2 comments:

Andres Salazar said...

Let me start off by saying I do not like puppets. they freak me out.

But I liked this episode for the turn that it makes, instead of the puppet being evil the kid is. I liked this idea of a demon/spirit stuck in the puppet, the scene of the puppet and Buffy talking was very nice. new ideas...I like it.

Heath Holland said...

Yes, that's what I loved most about this episode, and Buffy in general. It plays with stereotypes. You've seen so many horror movies that you think you know where something is going to go, but they take it somewhere completely different and turn your expectations on it's head.